Deakin University's internationally recognised research is concentrated on the most important global challenges. With a bevy of top minds, world-class facilities and international networks, we test, refine and develop sought-after innovations that improve the lives of individuals, business and communities.
Research at Deakin is divided into five themes that together advance knowledge, better humanity and preserve our planet.
- Designing smarter technologies
- Improving health and wellbeing
- Enabling a sustainable world
- Advancing society and culture
- Building safe and secure communities
- Institute for Frontier Materials - Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition (IPAN)
- Institute for Health Transformation (IHT)
- Institute for Intelligent Systems Research and Innovation (IISRI)
- Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute (A²I²) - Alfred Deakin Institute (ADI)
- Institute for Mental and Physical Health and Clinical Translation (IMPACT)
- Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) is a comprehensive quality evaluation of all research produced in Australian universities. Of the research we conduct at Deakin, 100% was rated at or above world standard in 2019.
- Placed at 231, we're ranked in the top 1% of universities globally by the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020. This rating indicates world-class facilities, research and teaching, as well as employability, innovation and inclusiveness.
- No. 1 in Australia and no. 3 in the world in Sport Science (ARWU, 2020)
- World leader in carbon and short fibre, metals and steel research, electromaterials, corrosion, nanotechnology and composite materials. We’re home to some of the best future-focused engineering and design facilities in the Australian university sector.
- Top 100 for research in Education, Nursing, Computer Science, Sport-related subjects
- 14 Research Centres
- About 1500 Research Students
- About 2400 Research Staff/Supervising academics